Saturday, November 14, 2009

How do I take care of my tulip plant?

My hubby gave me a potted tulip plant for Valentine's day. The flowers have fallen off and everything is turning brown. I have watered it and it is getting sun. How do I care for it? Can I make it healthy again?

How do I take care of my tulip plant?
Your tulip is doing what it is supposed to do. It gave you its glorious flower, and now is going to sleep until next year. Don't cut off the leaves until they are totally brown and dead, but do cut the stem to let the energy go into the bulb. You can plant the bulb outside if you live in a cool winter area, but here in California, I put my tulip bulbs in the refrigerator for 6 weeks before planting them in November.


For right now, if you want to wait to plant the bulb, let the leaves go brown, then put the bulb in a net, such as onions come in, and in September, put the bulb in your refrig. Plant bulb in November, and you will have a flower again. Tulips don't come up each year, after while they die out, and you must plant more bulbs. Again, they NEED cold winters, just as Holland was..
Reply:its run its course cut the top off place in a cool dark area ..next spring it will come up again for you to enjoy !!


No comments:

Post a Comment