Sunday, April 26, 2009

Tulip plants are yellow now.I pulled out one plant.Look what i found?

Tulip plants are yellow now.I pulled out one plant.Look what i found?. When i pulled the roots there was one bulb and also tiny tiny bulbs the size of a 10cents coin. Also the bulbs are white in color and tender. Is that ok. What Should i be doing now. Iam in southern ca.

Tulip plants are yellow now.I pulled out one plant.Look what i found?
What you found are new bulb-lets on your tulip plants. In the right environment they will grow into new tulip plants.





NOW for the BAD news. Your tulip plants will NOT return in Southern California.





Tulips need a COLD (preferably freezing) spell to do their thing. We can get them to bloom by putting them in our refrigerator for 6 weeks before we plant them in the fall. However, to re-bloom the next year they need more cold time.





I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. My winters are colder than yours (but not by much!). I treat tulips as a "one-time" thing!!





Instead of fighting biology, I look for winter bulbs that do not need as much winter chill - like daffodils and plant MORE of them.





Because I love tulips, I always buy a dozen or so bulbs, put them in my refrigerator for the 6 weeks and then plant them in pots that I can keep on the patio near my back door or in special pots I have indoors. When they are done, I throw the bulb out :(((





Good Luck!!
Reply:Tulips grow from a bulb. After they have bloomed the plant above the ground dies back. While it is growing the main bulb starts growing little bulbs. So your tiny bulbs will be more tulips next year.





Just leave them in thge ground. They will grow again next spring and you will have more plants to enjoy next spring.

flower deliveries

No comments:

Post a Comment